The computer is one of the greatest inventions of men. Over the past few years, it has seen many changes in size, functions, portability, and memory space. As technology continues to develop by leaps and bounds, the computer has been innovated into different shapes with various features and a large range of purposes. Let’s take a look at the different types of computers to understand their functions and usages.
- Personal Computer (PC) – We use PC for our personal use. PC contains a complete system in itself. The moderate price, convenient size, and simple functions make it easy for users to work on PC without any intervention from computer operators.
- Desktop – A desktop is any PC that is designed to be placed on a desk and not for movability. Such computers are kept in a permanent location and can be a little hulking. They usually have more storage and power compared to their portable counterparts.
- Laptop or Notebook – A laptop is a PC that can be portable. All of the CPU, memory, monitor, keyboard, pointing device, and hard drive are in one system. The laptop takes its name from the fact that you can put it on your lap while using it. A laptop is also called a notebook because you can conveniently carry the battery-operated device to meetings or classes and store any information in it.
- Netbook – It is fairly similar to a laptop, except for one thing that the netbook is smaller in size, which makes it more movable. Netbook is also cheaper and performs the main functions, but its internal parts are not as strong as a desktop or laptop.
- Workstation – This computer is a desktop that is bigger, involves a more powerful processor, larger memory space, and extra capacity to carry out typical kind of work. Such computer is used by programmers, graphic designers, game developers, and video or sound editors.
- Server – The main purpose of the server is to provide specific services to other computers or a whole network of computers. The server is much bigger than any average computer. Sometimes, a whole room is compulsory to fit the whole server. It has powerful processors, bigger hard drives and an additional amount of memory.
- Mainframe – Large companies and organizations use mainframe computers to perform crucial tasks that include bulk data processing such as census information, statistical data, transaction processing, and so on. They contain extensive input and output facilities, which are very stable and dependable to deal with millions of transactions every day.
- Supercomputer – This type of computer handles data much faster than a typical system. The supercomputer is the leader in processing capacity; therefore, it costs millions of dollars. It is used for sensitive and calculation-intensive task like climate studies, scientific research, physical simulation, quantum physics, weather forecasting, oil and natural gas exploration, and so forth.
- Wearable Computer – You can wear this device on your body like a watch or visor. It is often used by doctors or military professionals to track human actions if their hands manage other activities. Fabric PCs and smart watches are examples of wearable computers.